PLEASE NOTE: You must be a veteran, active military, or a first responder to enter our program.
- Submit an online pre-application to start the application process to obtain and train a service dog from NSSD, or to train your own pet dog to become a service dog. Within two weeks, you will receive an email with all of the necessary forms and requirements.
- Fill out and submit a complete client application and all related forms and required data.
- Have an in-person interview with the Next Step Service Dogs Training Director.
- Pet dogs and NSSD dogs undergo temperament testing for service suitability and for the best match for you, the client.
- Once forms are approved and the dog is selected, the training begins.
- A non-refundable client application fee of $150 is required for clients accepted into the program.
- The training program is at no charge to active military, veterans or first responders.
- After the service dog is certified with the client, the client takes full responsibility for the well being of the dog and all future dog-related expenses.
Dogs suitable for NSSD training:
- Age is between 1.5 years old and 3 years old.
- We do not consider bully breeds, such as Pit Bulls, Rotweillers or Mastiffs.
- Naturally calm and not easily distracted.
- Friendly to people and other animals.
- Has a Canine Good Citizen Test Certificate or proof of basic obedience class.