PLEASE NOTE: You must be a veteran, active military, or a first responder to enter our program.
- To began the process submit an online pre-application to obtain and train a service dog from NSSD, or to train your own pet dog to become a service dog. Within two weeks, you will receive an email or phone call to discuss your pre-application.
- Fill out and submit a complete client application and all related forms and required documents.
- After receipt of full application, an in-person interview with the Next Step Service Dogs Training Director will be scheduled.
- Pet dogs and NSSD dogs undergo temperament testing for service suitability and for the best match for you, the client.
- Once forms are approved and the dog is selected, a NSSD home visit will occur, then you’ll attend a phase one class.
- Training begins after completion of phase one.
- A non-refundable client application fee of $150 is required at the time of submitting an application.
- Service dog training is at no charge to active military, veterans or first responders.
- After the service dog is certified with the client, the client takes full responsibility for the well being of the dog and all future dog-related expenses.
- Transfer of ownership is one year after certification.
Dogs suitable for NSSD training:
- Age is between 1.5 years old and 3 years old.
- We do not consider bully breeds, such as Pit Bulls, Rotweillers or Mastiffs.
- Naturally calm and not easily distracted.
- Friendly to people and other animals.
- Has a Canine Good Citizen Test Certificate or proof of basic obedience class.